Eye opener

Just had a health scare last weekend and I just realised that I am not that young any more. When we were younger we always think that we are immune to anything. Only open to the normal flu or cough or that occasional sorethroat due to excessive fried and spicy food. 

Our mind might not grow older but our body definitely is. And just only the last weekend like I said just now, I finally realised that I am no longer that "tank". It started with flu then sore throat... the usual suspects and then the headache came. I thought it was nothing but my mom told me to just go see the doc and dont think that I am the Ironman, Superman or any superhero or as my former colleague said.... god.  Went to check and found out my BP shot up. Damn... 

So after a few days I got paranoid and went to the Hospital to do a full body checkup. As usual, the fear of the unknown got the better of me. Couldnt sleep the night before, thinking how I have fucked up my life by the really unhealthy lifestyle. Then came the day of my check up, which was yesterday. Did a normal full checkup, the normal x-ray, blood test and urine test. Waited half a day and then came the results. Diagnosed with hypertension and slightly high glucose and cholesterol. Everything else is ok.... for now. Then reality hits me... yes I am ageing and yes I am not immortal and yes.... my body is damaged....

I asked my doctor what is the cause of this, he said that it is due to the lack of sleep and accumulative unhealthy lifestyle (you know - food, drinks, and no consistent exercise). He told me that I am still quite young and I still have time to prevent and recover. Why? well, high glucose, high blood pressure and of course high cholesterol (LDL) if not treated or prevented can cause disability and of course death. My friends told me not to worry as life is short, yes, its already so short, I dont want it to be shorter!! 

That itself was a wake up call. I've been reading quite a few articles today and it is quite helpful and scary yet pleasing at the same time. A lot of people perceive that once you are diagnosed with all this you have to cut off on great food and lifestyle itself. But it was wrong, what you need is actually to have a sustainable lifestyle and not having a crash diet like some people do. What my doctor said is that he wants to have a sustainable diet and lifestyle. 

The reason why I am writing this is to make sure that I have a record of me saying that I want to live a better and healthier life. I am saying that this is the moment I turned my life around. Its a promise.... and also if I start to eat or live that old lifestyle again, you all can be my dicipline master and give me a warning or at least understand and at least give some moral support to me!!

Till then, towards a healthier life!!! 

Comments

Merryn said…
Now i feel so bad becoz at the end of last year i made a resolution to sleep before 12 everynight but half years has gone and i'm still sleeping at 2am!!
JS said…
well I do make sure i get proper 7 hours of sleep now. its all about managing your time.